Wednesday 26 May 2010

Bicycle Crash

26 April 2010

My Presidential duties came to an abrupt halt following my confrontation with a cattle truck as I cycled on a lovely sunny afternoon along a country road in Dumfries and Galloway. I succeeded in puncturing both lungs and suffered multiple broken ribs, shoulder, collar bone and several vertebrae which will necessitate six weeks in a neck-support collar. The A&E staff and those in the Intensive Care Unit at Dumfries Royal Infirmary did a marvellous job in patching me up and nursing me through those critical early days. The photograph shows me a week after the crash still hooked up to drains and drips to stabilise my bashed body.

I have been overwhelmed by the number of get-well and good-wishes cards I have received from all over the world, including a very thoughtful one from Joanna Lumley. These and awareness of prayers being offered on my behalf have been most uplifting and have greatly aided my recovery which is progressing well, albeit very slowly. I am sincerely grateful to all those involved. I send my apologies to those who had invited me to functions I could not attend but am indebted to Senior Vice President David Baird for stepping in as a substitute whenever possible. I am now at home and Pat has been a fantastic nurse helping me to recuperate. Hopefully I will be able to resume my Presidential duties before too long and have the chance to pass on my appreciation in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment